Skip to main content

Psalm 17

Wondrously show your steadfast love,
O savior of those who seek refuge
from their adversaries at your right hand.

Keep me as the apple of your eye;
hide me in the shadow of your wings,
from the wicked who do me violence,
my deadly enemies who surround me.

As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness;
When I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.

Psalm 17:7-9, 15

So, my heart is a little gloomy today. It's not a bad day by any means... just when I slow down and stop moving, my heart feels a little heavy. I have days like that - where I am restless and prone to feeling down. My fuse gets a little shorter. My mood a little drearier. My joy feels a little farther away. I have learned to watch my heart and to be aware that on days like this I am prone to see the dark side of things and to be more critical or more vulnerable to temptation. On days like this, God often feels farther away and I find it harder to get into the word.

So, it has been harder to sit in my Psalm today. I find myself wanting to turn it into task to get done while not engaging my heart. But the reality is that I need God to answer David's prayer for me.

David is in trouble (he's in trouble a lot), but he doesn't ask for physical deliverance. That kind of struck me. He prays for refuge - but it seems to be an emotional refuge, a quietness that comes from knowing he is loved by God regardless of his circumstances. He is asking for an increased awareness of God's steadfast love, his covenant love.

Keep me as the apple of your eye. Weird language for a pupil, but a powerful image. It seems to mean, keep your eye on me and be as protective and careful of me as you would be of the black dot in the center of the eye that watches me.

Hide me in the shadow of your wings. Gather me close. Hold me near your heart, covered in the warmth of your loving protection. I don't know why, but it puts me in mind of a memory from my childhood when my Aunt Irene held me on her lap while we were on some kind of road trip. She held me and I felt safe. I don't have a lot of memories from my early childhood, but that is a good one.

My head knows even as my heart resists - my greatest need is to be warmed by a renewed experience of God's love for me in Christ. I need to know that God delights in me. But more than know it, I need to feel it. The gospel tells me that I am loved even when I feel unloveable because I am in Jesus, and there is no condemnation, no separation, or rejection, no disappointment from God, for those who are in Christ. I am covered in his record, his righteousness.

And right now I need to not just know it, but to feel it. I need to not just accept it, I need to believe it. I need my heart warmed by the glow of God's fervent, present, steadfast love.

When I awake, one day in resurrection, I will be thoroughly, profoundly satisfied, with you as one made in your likeness. And today I need to remind myself - wake up and remember the truth of who you are in Christ. Wake up to what you have. Wake up to the love that is, even now, being poured out on you as one made in the likeness of God and remade in the likeness of Christ.

Prayer:

Lord, you are never far from me. I am weak and my body frail. Exhaustion creeps in and with it the lies that I need something other than you and your love for strength, comfort, and renewal. Awaken me to a renewed experience of your steadfast love. Hold me, even as my heart gets restless, in your gaze of love and draw me close so that my heart reawakens to your love. Thank you that my place in your love, my standing in your grace, is as sure as Christ is risen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching the Story Arc of the Bible

Each of the Journey campuses has started teaching a gospel class - a class that answers basic questions about following Christ and being a member in our church. This class has attracted a large number of people who are "peaking over the fence" - checking this whole Christianity thing out. That is both exciting and challenging. It gives us the chance to share the Bible with people who don't necessarily come to it with faith - as well as challenge those who do trust the Bible to get on mission with us. Our first lesson was on the story arc of the Bible - what is referred to as the diachronic view of scripture. Simply put, it is a way of looking at scripture as a complete story - with one major primary theme: God in Jesus reconciling the world to himself. Teaching a diachronic view of scripture to postmodern culture, though, presents some unique challenges. In prepping to teach, I wrote out the following thoughts. I would be glad to get any thoughts you have on this to

Milestones Ministry Discipline Forum Audio

In 2007, I taught a parenting forum at The Journey .  I posted the audio for that forum here, but The Journey has since cleaned up their media archives and this forum was taken down.  For some reason, though, this blog entry continues to be one of the most popular on my site. So, in an attempt to offer something of value, I am going to update this blog to reflect some of the best information we explored at that forum years ago.  Many blessings to you in your parenting journey. ..... Too often we as parents discipline out of wrong motives or for wrong goals. We want others to think we have it all together. We don't want to embarrassed in public places. We sure don't want to look like those "other" parents who have no control over their kids. How do we enter into parenting with true humility and raise "good" kids who are no more than legalistic moralists or moral relativists? The gospel tells us that we are both more broken and sinful than we care

The Gospel, Faith, and Asking Jesus into Your Heart

Kelly, our wonderful  Trailhead Kids leader, sent me a link to a great blog over at Sojourn Church.  It is titled " 9 Reasons not to Ask Jesus into your Heart ."  You should read it because it is clear, succinct, and right. I am not a fan of asking Jesus into your heart.  I am not a fan of committing your life to Christ or making him Lord of your life or asking Jesus to be your friend, either.  Strange thing for a pastor to say, right?  Wrong. After I became a believer and started working in a Christian high school, I came to see just how short those kinds of sayings fall from leading people to the real gospel.  As a new believer (and a lover of all things English), I loved my job, most of the things about my school, and, of course, my students.  One of the key frustrations I had, though, was that so many of my students claimed to follow Jesus but so few of them seemed to know him or love him. So, about two months into the school year, I decided to have the students wr