Skip to main content

Psalm 14

The fool says in his heart, "There is no God."
They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds, 
there is none who do good.

Psalm 14:1

This is not a condemnation of atheism. Philosophical atheists were far from common in the world during David's time. The world was polytheistic. They believed in many gods. Israel was unique among the nations because they were monotheistic. But everyone believed in the existence of gods.

So, what did David mean? Probably something along the lines of: The fool says in his heart that there is no God in Israel. Israelites would have sung this Psalm, quietly rejoicing that they were not all those fools out there who believed all those silly gods.

Funny enough, the Gentile nations thought that the Israelites were fools. Look at these people wandering around believing in one God when obviously there are so many different forces at play in our lives!

And we do the same thing. We all have gods, and we all think others are fools for not believing in them. We all have things to which we look for significance, approval, or security - and think others who don't value what we do are fools. We are always pouring ourselves out to something - our productivity, our creativity, our pleasure, our relationships, something - looking for them to pour back into us what we cannot provide for ourselves.

The truly ironic thing, then, is that we're all fools. Humans have always had this ability to construct an image of God that somehow loved the things we loved and rejected the things we rejected - a god made in our own image.

Paul talks about this in Romans 3 and says that David's point is universal. There really are only fools. Ancient Jews or Gentiles. Modern men and women. Ancient idolatry or modern idolatry. It's all the same and there really are none who do good. There really are only people in need of God's grace to give us the courage and clarity to be freed from our imaginary view of life where we are the heroes and "they" (whoever they are) are the fools.

Prayer:

Lord, humble my heart today as I am tempted to put myself in the class of the "non-fool" and look down on others who don't measure up to my arbitrary standards. Give me love of others, as you love others. Let me be freed to the generosity of grace instead of the greedy prison of pride, where I have to fight for my own dignity, advancement, and superiority - where I feel self-justified in sitting over and looking down on those that don't think, act, or value as I do. Thank you for loving me, a fool. Thank you for lovingly and humbly  revealing yourself to me in Christ so that I can be freed to see you as you are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching the Story Arc of the Bible

Each of the Journey campuses has started teaching a gospel class - a class that answers basic questions about following Christ and being a member in our church. This class has attracted a large number of people who are "peaking over the fence" - checking this whole Christianity thing out. That is both exciting and challenging. It gives us the chance to share the Bible with people who don't necessarily come to it with faith - as well as challenge those who do trust the Bible to get on mission with us. Our first lesson was on the story arc of the Bible - what is referred to as the diachronic view of scripture. Simply put, it is a way of looking at scripture as a complete story - with one major primary theme: God in Jesus reconciling the world to himself. Teaching a diachronic view of scripture to postmodern culture, though, presents some unique challenges. In prepping to teach, I wrote out the following thoughts. I would be glad to get any thoughts you have on this to

Milestones Ministry Discipline Forum Audio

In 2007, I taught a parenting forum at The Journey .  I posted the audio for that forum here, but The Journey has since cleaned up their media archives and this forum was taken down.  For some reason, though, this blog entry continues to be one of the most popular on my site. So, in an attempt to offer something of value, I am going to update this blog to reflect some of the best information we explored at that forum years ago.  Many blessings to you in your parenting journey. ..... Too often we as parents discipline out of wrong motives or for wrong goals. We want others to think we have it all together. We don't want to embarrassed in public places. We sure don't want to look like those "other" parents who have no control over their kids. How do we enter into parenting with true humility and raise "good" kids who are no more than legalistic moralists or moral relativists? The gospel tells us that we are both more broken and sinful than we care

The Gospel, Faith, and Asking Jesus into Your Heart

Kelly, our wonderful  Trailhead Kids leader, sent me a link to a great blog over at Sojourn Church.  It is titled " 9 Reasons not to Ask Jesus into your Heart ."  You should read it because it is clear, succinct, and right. I am not a fan of asking Jesus into your heart.  I am not a fan of committing your life to Christ or making him Lord of your life or asking Jesus to be your friend, either.  Strange thing for a pastor to say, right?  Wrong. After I became a believer and started working in a Christian high school, I came to see just how short those kinds of sayings fall from leading people to the real gospel.  As a new believer (and a lover of all things English), I loved my job, most of the things about my school, and, of course, my students.  One of the key frustrations I had, though, was that so many of my students claimed to follow Jesus but so few of them seemed to know him or love him. So, about two months into the school year, I decided to have the students wr