Skip to main content

Psalm 10

Why, O Lord, do you stand far away?
Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?

Arise, O Lord; O God, lift up your hand;
forget not the afflicted!

O Lord, you hear the desire of the afflicted;
you will strengthen their heart; you will incline your ear
to do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed,
so that man who is of the earth may strike terror no more.

Psalm 10:1, 12, 17-18

Two things struck me in this Psalm.

The first is that we are not alone if God feels far away from us when we suffer (or witness suffering). David leads out with what is often our question in suffering: Where is God? Why does he feel so far away? Is he even there?

I have lived an incredibly privileged life and my suffering has, most of the time, come at my own hands from my own foolishness. I have been abused and hurt and wronged, and have had to work through feelings of abandonment, vulnerability, and fear. But when I sit with a couple who lost their baby and they say, Where is God in this? When I listen to a young woman describe years of sexual and emotional abuse and she lets down her guard and asks, Where was God in that? When I read about Christians being dragged from their homes in the Middle East, tortured and killed in front of each other, my heart asks, Where is God?

Nothing prompts our hearts to beg for justice like unjust suffering. Nothing leads us to doubt God character or even existence faster than pain. Nothing makes us long for his just power and loving presence like the vulnerability that comes from powerlessness and vulnerability to evil.

We know the theological answer - God is not far. He is not hiding. He has not forgotten us. He is busy and active and there will come a day when we will look back and say, You worked it all together for a greater good that I could not see or understand, but for which I now give thanks.

Which is why we must fill our vision with the cross of Christ and the empty tomb. The cross speaks to our hearts of God's nearness. He is not far from our suffering - he has entered into it, absorbed the worst of it, and feels pain. And he did it for us. The tomb speaks to us his power to reverse the results of evil and pain, to retell a tragic story as a beautiful triumph, a story of betrayal as a story of fidelity and love.

When we doubt the hand of God (because we can't see it) we need to renew our vision of the heart of God. It renews our ability to say, The Lord hears and will do justice. You can count on it.

The second thing that struck me in this Psalm is that God inspired David to write it.

Seriously, the Holy Spirit of God moved through David's suffering heart and his hand to write a Psalm that is all about how far away God feels during times of suffering. That's ridiculously ironic. And weirdly comforting. God couldn't have been much nearer to David when he wrote this Psalm, and yet David is experiencing what feels like a crisis because God doesn't seem near.

This tells me that God has a purpose, a good and sanctifying motive, for letting us feel like he is far away. He is a good father and we are his children. And even though we don't understand his motives, we can trust they are good.

Prayer:
Father, thank you that you are nearer than you often feel, that you are more present in the pain that I know. "Man who is of the earth" has limited days to "strike terror" - and I am deeply thankful for the promise of coming justice and grace. Be near those who suffer, and even as they feel far from you, renew their strength to see the beauty of your promises by faith. Let them trust your heart even when they can't discern your hand. For your glory and our good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching the Story Arc of the Bible

Each of the Journey campuses has started teaching a gospel class - a class that answers basic questions about following Christ and being a member in our church. This class has attracted a large number of people who are "peaking over the fence" - checking this whole Christianity thing out. That is both exciting and challenging. It gives us the chance to share the Bible with people who don't necessarily come to it with faith - as well as challenge those who do trust the Bible to get on mission with us. Our first lesson was on the story arc of the Bible - what is referred to as the diachronic view of scripture. Simply put, it is a way of looking at scripture as a complete story - with one major primary theme: God in Jesus reconciling the world to himself. Teaching a diachronic view of scripture to postmodern culture, though, presents some unique challenges. In prepping to teach, I wrote out the following thoughts. I would be glad to get any thoughts you have on this to

Milestones Ministry Discipline Forum Audio

In 2007, I taught a parenting forum at The Journey .  I posted the audio for that forum here, but The Journey has since cleaned up their media archives and this forum was taken down.  For some reason, though, this blog entry continues to be one of the most popular on my site. So, in an attempt to offer something of value, I am going to update this blog to reflect some of the best information we explored at that forum years ago.  Many blessings to you in your parenting journey. ..... Too often we as parents discipline out of wrong motives or for wrong goals. We want others to think we have it all together. We don't want to embarrassed in public places. We sure don't want to look like those "other" parents who have no control over their kids. How do we enter into parenting with true humility and raise "good" kids who are no more than legalistic moralists or moral relativists? The gospel tells us that we are both more broken and sinful than we care

The Gospel, Faith, and Asking Jesus into Your Heart

Kelly, our wonderful  Trailhead Kids leader, sent me a link to a great blog over at Sojourn Church.  It is titled " 9 Reasons not to Ask Jesus into your Heart ."  You should read it because it is clear, succinct, and right. I am not a fan of asking Jesus into your heart.  I am not a fan of committing your life to Christ or making him Lord of your life or asking Jesus to be your friend, either.  Strange thing for a pastor to say, right?  Wrong. After I became a believer and started working in a Christian high school, I came to see just how short those kinds of sayings fall from leading people to the real gospel.  As a new believer (and a lover of all things English), I loved my job, most of the things about my school, and, of course, my students.  One of the key frustrations I had, though, was that so many of my students claimed to follow Jesus but so few of them seemed to know him or love him. So, about two months into the school year, I decided to have the students wr