Skip to main content

Thoughts on the Church being the Church

So, a strange thought came to me in the shower the other day.  Being a pastor is like being a Chinese buffet.  Everyone shows up with different and specific expectations and everyone walks away disappointed.

This thought didn't come to me because I was feeling sorry for myself, because I'm not.  I love what I do because of who I do it for (Jesus), and I have no internal need to meet everyone's expectations of me.  My job is to please the one who loved me and called me to himself.  (And, awesome thought, he is already pleased with me and will continue to be because I am covered with Christ, the delight of God!)

The thought actually came to me as I was thinking about how the church today has lost the experience of being the church.  Our cultural Christianity has essentially taken all the “one another's” of scripture and robbed them of their community experience.

Like Colossians 3:16.  It says

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.


Notice who is told to do the work of ministry here: the church.

We have lost a vision of the church edifying (building up) one another, encouraging one another, teaching one another, challenging and correcting one another, praying for one another, sacrificing for and giving to one another, leading one another to worship God and reach out to the outsider in love.

By and large, the church now sees the professional leadership of the church as the "one" and themselves as the "another."  It is the pastor's job to teach us, the worship leader's job to give us a dynamic experience of worship, the mission pastor's job to create opportunities for service for us, the kid's pastor's job to teach our kids, the counseling pastor's job to help us overcome their hang ups from the past - and so on.

Obviously it is not my intent to undermine the importance of leadership in the local church.  But is also not my intent to replicate our culture's consumeristic approach to church life.

Consumers show up, consume, critique, and then go home, like semi-interested teenagers at the family table eating what looks tasty and criticizing everything else and then leaving before the table gets cleaned up.  

Is it my job as a pastor to teach truth?  Absolutely

Is it my job to encourage people to praise God and worship him?   Yes.

Is it my job to remind you how much you have to be thankful for in Jesus?  Yes.

Is it (and can it be) only my job?  No way

My job is to teach the church truth – but more importantly, it is my job to equip the church to live in it, and if I am doing my job well, our church should become less and less dependent on me.

Ephesians 4:11-16 (part of the passage for our sermon, Why am I here, at Trailhead Church this weekend) compares this whole thing to the process of growing a child into a mature man.

In the beginning the child is dependent and needy – you have to feed them and change them.  You pretty much have to start there.  When they learn that, you have to tell them how to treat others.

Don’t hit – don’t bite – share – be polite.

Then later you help them to become discerning and productive – pick good friends – only date people you think you might be able to marry - work before you play - clean up what you mess up.  And, gradually, they need you less and less.

They never completely outgrow their love for you or their need for your influence in their lives (thank God - I love my kids too much to think that one day they will never need me).  But they do become independent and autonomous.  They do become mature men and women.

In the same way, while the church never outgrows its need for its leaders, a mature church will be continually producing new leaders.  It's members will not just waiting for marching orders - they will be initiating gospel ministry around them continually.  And it's a good thing too, because a healthy church is a reproducing church that will see a continual inflow of new (and somewhat messy) young believers.

If we have any hope of experiencing the power of the church, we need to stop putting our cultural, consumeristic, self-centered expectations on it.  We need to stop coming to church like we do to a restaurant - showing up to consume what we like, criticize what we don't, and then going home and leaving the clean up to the professionals.  We need to stop talking about the church as if we weren't the church.

Oh, and remember, your pastor isn't a Chinese buffet.

Comments

brad andrews said…
Beautiful bro - this is gold...
Steve Mizel said…
Thanks, Brad. Appreciate it!
Ann-Marie said…
I really liked this post. It seems that this actually gets harder the older you get...is that a trend or just me? When I was in college I was involved with the church a lot and so were the other college students I knew. My first year out of college was harder and each year just seems to get harder still. My desire to be involved is still there but actual involvement seems to become more difficult. Any thoughts???
Steve Mizel said…
Hey Ann-Marie,

Absolutely. Some seasons are harder than others - the same way some seasons are harder to connect with family. There are certain seasons that we need to take much more from community than we take. And that is OK.

I had an older friend tell me once that I had more free time now than I will have for the rest of my life. I asked when that stopped being the case, and he said he didn't know because he hadn't gotten there yet.

Community is hard - we have to value it and intentionally seek it out. The benefits far outweigh the cost.
Sarah Guild said…
I am responding mainly to the first sentence: Or, you come, are wowed by what God is doing and are forever grateful that God allowed you to be part of that church for that time. With that pastor as the leader. And, of course, his most wonderful family.
Steve Mizel said…
Thanks, Sarah. It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) - we love you guys and are thankful that God made our families cross paths.
Kristy said…
thanks for this, Steve. I have to second Sarah :) Also - I had the privilege to read Colossians 3:1-17 together with my community group just tonight! It was sweet & powerful. Thanks for making us think with your posts.

"We need to stop talking about the church as if we weren't the church."
Steve Mizel said…
Thanks, Kristy, for the kind words.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching the Story Arc of the Bible

Each of the Journey campuses has started teaching a gospel class - a class that answers basic questions about following Christ and being a member in our church. This class has attracted a large number of people who are "peaking over the fence" - checking this whole Christianity thing out. That is both exciting and challenging. It gives us the chance to share the Bible with people who don't necessarily come to it with faith - as well as challenge those who do trust the Bible to get on mission with us. Our first lesson was on the story arc of the Bible - what is referred to as the diachronic view of scripture. Simply put, it is a way of looking at scripture as a complete story - with one major primary theme: God in Jesus reconciling the world to himself. Teaching a diachronic view of scripture to postmodern culture, though, presents some unique challenges. In prepping to teach, I wrote out the following thoughts. I would be glad to get any thoughts you have on this to

Milestones Ministry Discipline Forum Audio

In 2007, I taught a parenting forum at The Journey .  I posted the audio for that forum here, but The Journey has since cleaned up their media archives and this forum was taken down.  For some reason, though, this blog entry continues to be one of the most popular on my site. So, in an attempt to offer something of value, I am going to update this blog to reflect some of the best information we explored at that forum years ago.  Many blessings to you in your parenting journey. ..... Too often we as parents discipline out of wrong motives or for wrong goals. We want others to think we have it all together. We don't want to embarrassed in public places. We sure don't want to look like those "other" parents who have no control over their kids. How do we enter into parenting with true humility and raise "good" kids who are no more than legalistic moralists or moral relativists? The gospel tells us that we are both more broken and sinful than we care

The Gospel, Faith, and Asking Jesus into Your Heart

Kelly, our wonderful  Trailhead Kids leader, sent me a link to a great blog over at Sojourn Church.  It is titled " 9 Reasons not to Ask Jesus into your Heart ."  You should read it because it is clear, succinct, and right. I am not a fan of asking Jesus into your heart.  I am not a fan of committing your life to Christ or making him Lord of your life or asking Jesus to be your friend, either.  Strange thing for a pastor to say, right?  Wrong. After I became a believer and started working in a Christian high school, I came to see just how short those kinds of sayings fall from leading people to the real gospel.  As a new believer (and a lover of all things English), I loved my job, most of the things about my school, and, of course, my students.  One of the key frustrations I had, though, was that so many of my students claimed to follow Jesus but so few of them seemed to know him or love him. So, about two months into the school year, I decided to have the students wr