Skip to main content

Volunteer Leadership Part 1

I didn't always work for the church. I consider myself, in many ways, the accidental pastor. I set out to become a high school English teacher who would move into administration. Well, kind of. I didn't really set out to do anything - but that is another story.

But I did land in education and I spent 17 years working with kids or with those who work with kids - as a teacher (public and private), a board member, and a principal.

During this time, I worked mostly with employees, not volunteers. There are advantages to leading employees - they pretty much have to perform in order to receive a pay check. There is an internal, intrinsic motivation to move the organization toward success - "If I don't do my job, I will lose my job." There was also a freedom to lead in that environment because there was a stated agreement - you are being paid to do your job and I am being paid to make sure you are doing it well. If I push you to improve in that environment, it is expected and normal.

When I left education to work for The Journey as the family pastor I found the rules had changed. I didn't have any paid staff. I was it. But the job was so big, I needed almost 200 people to pull it off (the Journey was, at that point, at two campuses and running around four services with childcare). I needed an army of volunteers.

Obviously the problem of recruitment hit my radar first -if I didn't figure out how to recruit, and recruit quickly, the ship was going to sink - and take me with it.

Once I had my people recruited I had to figure out how to train them and motivate them to do more than just show up. I didn't join the church to suddenly start doing second-rate work with children - I wanted to build the highest quality children's program possible.

The second problem that confronted me, then, was that I needed to adjust the locus of motivation. I was asking people to sacrifice time, energy, and creativity to do a job for which they had not been trained and were not being paid.

In fact, my volunteer leadership team put in 20 to 40 hours a week to help me push Journey Kids toward excellence - completely unpaid. How could I ask them to do so much and not compensate them? How could I keep them motivated?

Connected to that I needed to adjust my own attitude - because I discovered that I was developing habits (seemingly innocent - and even "nice and noble" habits) that were undermining my own efforts to solidify my team and motivate them toward greater quality and effort.

The final problem (the one that almost sank me) was how to keep the team up and running once they had been recruited and trained. No one wants to stay on a sinking ship - and no one wants to be sucked into a black hole where they will be used, drained, and then discarded.

So, my plan is to follow this post up with at least three more that explore in brief the things I learned in my three years as family pastor in regard to recruiting and leading a team. I hope the things I share will be of benefit to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching the Story Arc of the Bible

Each of the Journey campuses has started teaching a gospel class - a class that answers basic questions about following Christ and being a member in our church. This class has attracted a large number of people who are "peaking over the fence" - checking this whole Christianity thing out. That is both exciting and challenging. It gives us the chance to share the Bible with people who don't necessarily come to it with faith - as well as challenge those who do trust the Bible to get on mission with us. Our first lesson was on the story arc of the Bible - what is referred to as the diachronic view of scripture. Simply put, it is a way of looking at scripture as a complete story - with one major primary theme: God in Jesus reconciling the world to himself. Teaching a diachronic view of scripture to postmodern culture, though, presents some unique challenges. In prepping to teach, I wrote out the following thoughts. I would be glad to get any thoughts you have on this to

Milestones Ministry Discipline Forum Audio

In 2007, I taught a parenting forum at The Journey .  I posted the audio for that forum here, but The Journey has since cleaned up their media archives and this forum was taken down.  For some reason, though, this blog entry continues to be one of the most popular on my site. So, in an attempt to offer something of value, I am going to update this blog to reflect some of the best information we explored at that forum years ago.  Many blessings to you in your parenting journey. ..... Too often we as parents discipline out of wrong motives or for wrong goals. We want others to think we have it all together. We don't want to embarrassed in public places. We sure don't want to look like those "other" parents who have no control over their kids. How do we enter into parenting with true humility and raise "good" kids who are no more than legalistic moralists or moral relativists? The gospel tells us that we are both more broken and sinful than we care

The Gospel, Faith, and Asking Jesus into Your Heart

Kelly, our wonderful  Trailhead Kids leader, sent me a link to a great blog over at Sojourn Church.  It is titled " 9 Reasons not to Ask Jesus into your Heart ."  You should read it because it is clear, succinct, and right. I am not a fan of asking Jesus into your heart.  I am not a fan of committing your life to Christ or making him Lord of your life or asking Jesus to be your friend, either.  Strange thing for a pastor to say, right?  Wrong. After I became a believer and started working in a Christian high school, I came to see just how short those kinds of sayings fall from leading people to the real gospel.  As a new believer (and a lover of all things English), I loved my job, most of the things about my school, and, of course, my students.  One of the key frustrations I had, though, was that so many of my students claimed to follow Jesus but so few of them seemed to know him or love him. So, about two months into the school year, I decided to have the students wr