Skip to main content

Psalm 6

O Lord, rebuke me not in your anger,
nor discipline me in your wrath.
Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing...

Turn, O Lord, deliver my life;
save me for the sake of your steadfast love...

Depart from me, all you workers of evil,
for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my plea;
The Lord accepts my prayer.
Psalm 6:1, 4, 8-9

How often, when I am languishing, do I approach God in the same way? Don't reject me. Don't crush me. Don't give me what my heart tells me I deserve.

Emotional exhaustion makes my heart decline toward depression, and depression often brings with it a blanket of condemnation.  I feel rejected, worthless, and angry. And when I am there, I tend to make it worse by condemning myself further for feeling inadequate or lonely or restless.

David is there - Lord, don't rebuke me. Don't discipline me. Don't pour your wrath out on me - I am languishing. But there comes a point where he can hear the still, quiet voice of God in the turmoil of the emotional storm. It whispers, "My love is steadfast. It is based on my covenant to you, not your commitment to me."

And David's head bobs up, like lost dog who thinks he hears his little girl's voice. There's a sudden glimmer of hope in the darkness. His attention is diverted from his failure and inadequacy to the promise of God's love, and it's enough to lead him to pray a mustard-seed faith prayer: "You love me. You said it was forever love. Save me because you love me."

Then, when his eyes have turned from the storm of his emotions to the quiet voice of eternally committed Love, he finds comfort. He says, "Depart from me." Get out darkness - you have no place here. This heart is not your home. The Lord has heard me and he accepts me. There isn't room in here for both him and you.  Get out.

How many times have I walked this path? Seems like it is almost daily sometimes. I am so thankful that the path is well-worn. That David, inspired by the Spirit, not only validates this cycle of discovering and rediscovering God's love - he points to the path by which we find it again.

Prayer:
Lord, my heart is dark and my body tired. I am made of dust, and today I feel the wind threatening to blow right through me. Save me for the sake of your steadfast love. Deliver me from my dark impulses, my fear, and my critic's voice. Thank you that you love me because of Jesus, the one who died and rose again so I could rise too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching the Story Arc of the Bible

Each of the Journey campuses has started teaching a gospel class - a class that answers basic questions about following Christ and being a member in our church. This class has attracted a large number of people who are "peaking over the fence" - checking this whole Christianity thing out. That is both exciting and challenging. It gives us the chance to share the Bible with people who don't necessarily come to it with faith - as well as challenge those who do trust the Bible to get on mission with us. Our first lesson was on the story arc of the Bible - what is referred to as the diachronic view of scripture. Simply put, it is a way of looking at scripture as a complete story - with one major primary theme: God in Jesus reconciling the world to himself. Teaching a diachronic view of scripture to postmodern culture, though, presents some unique challenges. In prepping to teach, I wrote out the following thoughts. I would be glad to get any thoughts you have on this to

Milestones Ministry Discipline Forum Audio

In 2007, I taught a parenting forum at The Journey .  I posted the audio for that forum here, but The Journey has since cleaned up their media archives and this forum was taken down.  For some reason, though, this blog entry continues to be one of the most popular on my site. So, in an attempt to offer something of value, I am going to update this blog to reflect some of the best information we explored at that forum years ago.  Many blessings to you in your parenting journey. ..... Too often we as parents discipline out of wrong motives or for wrong goals. We want others to think we have it all together. We don't want to embarrassed in public places. We sure don't want to look like those "other" parents who have no control over their kids. How do we enter into parenting with true humility and raise "good" kids who are no more than legalistic moralists or moral relativists? The gospel tells us that we are both more broken and sinful than we care

The Gospel, Faith, and Asking Jesus into Your Heart

Kelly, our wonderful  Trailhead Kids leader, sent me a link to a great blog over at Sojourn Church.  It is titled " 9 Reasons not to Ask Jesus into your Heart ."  You should read it because it is clear, succinct, and right. I am not a fan of asking Jesus into your heart.  I am not a fan of committing your life to Christ or making him Lord of your life or asking Jesus to be your friend, either.  Strange thing for a pastor to say, right?  Wrong. After I became a believer and started working in a Christian high school, I came to see just how short those kinds of sayings fall from leading people to the real gospel.  As a new believer (and a lover of all things English), I loved my job, most of the things about my school, and, of course, my students.  One of the key frustrations I had, though, was that so many of my students claimed to follow Jesus but so few of them seemed to know him or love him. So, about two months into the school year, I decided to have the students wr