Skip to main content

41 thoughts on turning 41

So, I turned 41 today.  So here are 41 thoughts on this auspicious occasion (in no particular order).

1. I am a time traveler, but I can only go forward.

2. My children bring me more joy than anyone outside of my wife.

3. I wish I had gotten my masters in English instead of Education.

4. I love God.  I love the gospel.  I love his church.  I can't help it.  He loved me first.

5. The church is like a family.  Full of joy, promise, and dysfunction.

6. I miss California - especially the Pacific Ocean and the rugged beauty of the Pacific Northwest.

7. I am thankful for Emmaus Bible College, Tom Dean, the Plymouth Brethren, and the Journey.

8. The most revolutionary thing about The Journey isn't new or unique to The Journey: it is the gospel.

9. Jesus was my substitute in death so that I can be his brother in life. This one thing has made my life worth living.

10. I can be a jerk.  I can be selfish.  I can be anything that is bad because I am more broken and sinful than I want to admit.

11. I am loved, accepted, affirmed, empowered, and exalted in Christ - not because of what I have done but because of what he has done for me.

12. I would still like to write a novel.

13. I miss skateboarding (my knees are too tattered to really shred anymore).

14. Today, I woke up next to Lauren, my wife of 20 years, and smiled.  She is the greatest gift God has given me on this earth.

15. Lauren is my best friend and my closest confidant.

16.  I am now closer to 50 than 30.

17.  I am ok with that.

18.  It is still strange to be the oldest guy around.  I was always the youngest.  I was the younger brother.  I was the youngest in my classes growing up.  I was 17 when I left home to go to college.  I was engaged at 19 and married at 20.  I was a high school teacher at 21 and a principal at 24.

19. Mike Weinberg is still older than me.

20. I am wild about my kids.  Raising teens has been way more difficult than I expected in some ways and way more rewarding in others.

21.  Victoria (17) is a like a bubbling spring - never still, always making noise, and wonderfully refreshing.  She is a sensate and determined to experience life and not just exist.

22. Esther (14) is like a still sea - her currents run deep, there is always more under the surface than meets the eye, and when she gets moving in a direction - there is no stopping her.  I mean - really - she is the most determined and persistent person I know.

23. Isaac (11) is, well, hmmm, ah - I guess he is like slow water running over pebbles.  The sound is happy and the pace is slow.  He isn't in any hurry to go anywhere, but he sure wants to have fun along the way.  He is well named - his name means laughter.

24. Raising teenagers is both more and less challenging than raising young children.

25. Being courageous is better than being arrogant. Being arrogant is a whole lot easier than being courageous.

26. I am thankful.  I have been forgiven much and given much.

27.  It is cool to see that my many mistakes over the last 41 years actually give me insight into how to speak into the lives of others.

28. The fact that I am a vocational pastor is one of the greatest ironies of my life.

29. All that glitters is not gold.

30. God's opinion of me is the only one that matters. Therefore, you always come second.

31. The reality is that you would always come second anyway - the only question is whether you would come second behind God in my life or me in my life.

32. I still love Shakespeare. His lines: "Life...is a tale / told by an idiot, full of sound and fury / signifying nothing" broke me and prepared my heart for the gospel.

33. 41 thoughts is a lot of thoughts.

34. I enjoyed driving my convertible 1965 Corvair Corsa - but do not regret selling it.

35.  I would enjoy driving a 1964 hard top split window Corvette Stingray - and would not regret you giving me one.

36. All sin is sin - but some sin is more damaging than other.  And I am capable of doing all of it.

37.  I fell in love with Ireland and Northern Ireland when we went there in 08.

38. I am Jewish and I am Irish.  If you don't like me, join the club.

39. I find Twitter both entertaining and annoying.

40. I may still get a tattoo that says "Forty" on my right arm.  Psalm 40 is my life.

41. I am driven by hope - the one thing that MacBeth had lost and could not understand.

Comments

Katie said…
Bob was quick to point out that now that Rusty is on staff, he is no longer the oldest... you now come in third! Congratulations and Happy Birthday!
Steve Mizel said…
Yeah, I am resigned to being middle of the pack on this one. When I became an elder, Weinberg was the only one who predated me - a position he defended eagerly.
Melissa said…
loved it...I laughed out loud.
Steve Mizel said…
Cool. Thanks, Melissa.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching the Story Arc of the Bible

Each of the Journey campuses has started teaching a gospel class - a class that answers basic questions about following Christ and being a member in our church. This class has attracted a large number of people who are "peaking over the fence" - checking this whole Christianity thing out. That is both exciting and challenging. It gives us the chance to share the Bible with people who don't necessarily come to it with faith - as well as challenge those who do trust the Bible to get on mission with us. Our first lesson was on the story arc of the Bible - what is referred to as the diachronic view of scripture. Simply put, it is a way of looking at scripture as a complete story - with one major primary theme: God in Jesus reconciling the world to himself. Teaching a diachronic view of scripture to postmodern culture, though, presents some unique challenges. In prepping to teach, I wrote out the following thoughts. I would be glad to get any thoughts you have on this to

Milestones Ministry Discipline Forum Audio

In 2007, I taught a parenting forum at The Journey .  I posted the audio for that forum here, but The Journey has since cleaned up their media archives and this forum was taken down.  For some reason, though, this blog entry continues to be one of the most popular on my site. So, in an attempt to offer something of value, I am going to update this blog to reflect some of the best information we explored at that forum years ago.  Many blessings to you in your parenting journey. ..... Too often we as parents discipline out of wrong motives or for wrong goals. We want others to think we have it all together. We don't want to embarrassed in public places. We sure don't want to look like those "other" parents who have no control over their kids. How do we enter into parenting with true humility and raise "good" kids who are no more than legalistic moralists or moral relativists? The gospel tells us that we are both more broken and sinful than we care

The Gospel, Faith, and Asking Jesus into Your Heart

Kelly, our wonderful  Trailhead Kids leader, sent me a link to a great blog over at Sojourn Church.  It is titled " 9 Reasons not to Ask Jesus into your Heart ."  You should read it because it is clear, succinct, and right. I am not a fan of asking Jesus into your heart.  I am not a fan of committing your life to Christ or making him Lord of your life or asking Jesus to be your friend, either.  Strange thing for a pastor to say, right?  Wrong. After I became a believer and started working in a Christian high school, I came to see just how short those kinds of sayings fall from leading people to the real gospel.  As a new believer (and a lover of all things English), I loved my job, most of the things about my school, and, of course, my students.  One of the key frustrations I had, though, was that so many of my students claimed to follow Jesus but so few of them seemed to know him or love him. So, about two months into the school year, I decided to have the students wr